Home Blog Bearing Failure Ignites Recycling Center Fire

Bearing Failure Ignites Recycling Center Fire

Release time : 2015-06-16 08:16:49
Fire which engulfed and destroyed a recycling center in Harrisonburg, Virginia, has been blamed on "lack of maintenance involving bearings" and serves as a reminder to stay current with inspection and lubrication schedules. The three-alarm fire broke out last Wednesday at approximately 5pm. It eventually involved and destroyed all of the structures at Dave's Recycling. Firefighters took more than five hours to bring the blaze under control; it could be seen for more than five miles. They stayed at the scene an additional 12 hours to combat flareups. Harrisonburg fire officials traced the fire's start to the recycling center's conveyor system, where a bearing failed, overheated, and ignited other materials. No one was injured, and there were no hazardous materials involved.